Backup Copy is a type of card that exists to temporarily prevent removal of a card.
Origins and Names
The origins of this card are unclear; it seems to be from several original card designers as per Ikbweck's Theory of Convergent Evolution. Although sometimes called a "guardian angel", "bodyguard", or even "macho man", its purpose and function rarely vary.
A Backup Copy is a single card which meets the following criteria.
- It is played by being placed behind or in front of (or otherwise associated with) a card already on the table.
- It does not tamper with that card's function excessively.
- If any card's effects were to discard the card, Backup Copy is discarded instead.
- If any card's effects were to move to any non-discard pile location or otherwise tamper with the card's inclusion or effects, Backup Copy is discarded instead.
- Backup Copy cannot cause a victory, loss, or paradox. If any of these are caused by Backup Copy, then discard Backup Copy.
- If Backup Copy is discarded, then its functions are no longer applicable.
A related but very different card type is the "Card Binder". While the Backup Copy says "If card X is removed from play, card Y is removed instead", the Card Binder says "If card X is removed from play, card Y is removed as well". These require a bit more ingenuity to use to their full potential, but can be equally effective defensive tools.